Sunday, February 3, 2013

Meal Prep Sunday! Supercooking instead of the Superbowl...

So while everyone was screaming at the tv and watching Beyonce and laughing at commercials and yelling at plays and whatever else. I was on a mission to get some cooking done for the week for me and my hubby wubby :). As I stated in the last post just finished a 21 day fast from meat and I have to say I missed it very much but am feeling great. One thing I learned is that I can do without meat but that I don't want to lol. But, as a result I am going to do my very best to cut down on the bacon intake. Went grocery shopping today and only got one pack of bacon when I usually get two or three and eat it EVERY morning for breakfast. Hot mess I know but so delicious..and hey...If you were eating all the bacon you wanted and still losing weight why stop? Anyhow now I am rambling.

Here is what I made today. I am too exhausted to post an organized ingredient list type of recipe but if you want it just ask and I will tell you. Honestly though a lot of things can be made by just putting your own spin on the ingredients you see. Sometimes when I try and sit down and type up a recipe I get so frustrated because when I cook I don't really measure so its hard to say how much of what I put in. But again if you really want a more official recipe just send me a message but you should be able to create this without exact measurements so just read it and if its confusing just let me know.

Okay so my meals for the week. My Paleo Everthing Soup, Grilled Chicken Chipotle Cinnamon Sweet Potato Mash and Chipotle Curry Roasted Cauliflower, and Stir fried Kale with Chipotle Shrimp Ground Chicken. Do you notice a theme? I put ground chipotle in pretty much everything. I LOVE spicy food. That's something I picked up from my Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Pepper loving father God rest his soul.

Here are my creations....

Paleo Everything Soup
For the soup pictured on the left I basically sauteed all the veggies I wanted to get rid of in my fridge along with some garlic and seasoned with some sea salt, unsalted seasoning, ground chipotle, some cumin and thyme to give it a nice kick, and fresh cracked black pepper. In the meantime I took some ground beef and cooked it down in a saucepan as I warmed up my crockpot. I then transferred all my ingredients into the crockpot and added half vegetable broth and half chicken broth (its what I had leftover). Covered the pot and let it cook itself down while I prepared my other two meals.

Kale Shrimp Chicken Stir Fry
I took 4 cloves of garlic and let them cook in whole in some olive oil to give the oil a nice garlicy (not a word) flavor. Seasoned my shrimp with chipotle seasoning (surprise), black pepper, and spices and sauteed in the garlic oil along with the garlic for a couple of minutes until pink. Took them out and placed to the side and added half of a large onion (you can also use 3 or 4 shallots instead) and cooked down. Added ground chicken and cooked down with the onions. In the meantime in another pot I put 4 bunches of chopped kale, one yellow bell pepper, and 4 tomatoes in some olive oil and let that cook down. Once the Kale started to get wilted enough I added the ground chicken to it and stirred in all the flavors and covered. After a few minutes add your shrimp in stir in and cover again. It's finished depending on how soft or tough you like your kale. I like mine wilted a lot so I cooked it for a while. Came out super yummy. Ate it for dinner! You can also add a couple of slices of avocado on the side. Pairs nicely with the shrimp and chicken in this dish.

Grilled Chicken with Cinnamon Chipotle Sweet Potato Mash and Chipotle Curry Cauliflower
Chicken- Season to your taste and throw it on a George Foreman Grill or whatever kind of grill you have. If you don't have one then you can simply bake the chicken or put it in a pan.

Cauliflower- Let me start by saying...I HATE CAULIFLOWER.. lol. But...I know its good for me so why not make it suck less by seasoning it with delicious spices to cover up its gross flavor lol. My friend Charmaine will be proud of me for this one. So I actually saw this recipe on nomnompaelo.com and just modified it a bit. I cut up the gross cauliflower and seasoned it with ground chiplotle (you can find it at fresh and easy, it has no sodium which is awesome), lots of fresh ground black pepper, Jamaican curry powder (any curry will do), a hint of sea salt, and a dash of cumin. Toss with some olive oil and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Roast them until they are as soft as you like and stir them around at least one time as they cook. I had my oven on about 400 didn't take long at all. After all of that it came out awesome. So I proved to myself that gross veggies can be good with proper seasonings!

Sweet Potato- Wrap in foil and bake like you would a regular potato. I put my oven on about 400 for this as well. Cook until soft enough to puncture with your fork. Remove from the oven and cut a slit in the skin and separate it off of the potato. Take a spoon and scoop out into a bowl. Season with Cinnamon, Chipotle Seasoning (or whatever spice you like or you can do without this), a hint of sea salt and mash together. You can also add a little bit of unsalted butter which really makes the Cinnamon flavor come out. I didn't have any butter (let a neighbor borrow some and they never brought it back #hoodproblems) so I did without but tastes just as good. Chrisbert really loves this so I specifically made this for him.


Then I packed URRRRYTHANG in all the Tupperware (is that how you spell it?) I could find lol.
So there you have it. Super cooking on Superbowl Sunday. I have to say. Although it was quite exhausting to cook three meals at once it feels great to know I won't have to come home after work and cook anything. Plus when I start cooking I can't sit down until I'm done. A habbit from my mother. Also, I really like making sure my husband has something yummy to eat that's home made. I guess that's the housewife in me that I got from my mom and grandma. I almost feel guilty when I don't have time to cook even though Chris is so laid back and doesn't really get fussy about that kind of stuff. I am proud of all my work! Hope you all have a blessed week and if you decided to stick with paleo then congrats! If not find what works for you and stick to it. Healthy eating is a lifestyle change so if one method isn't working for you try something else. I've been paleo since September and still loving it. If you want to know more about it and my journey feel free to read my first blog post and the others in my archive. Happy eating everyone. Looking forward to waking up for my hike in the am with my cousin. What are you guys looking forward too?

No comments:

Post a Comment