Thursday, January 3, 2013

All You Eeat is Meat...It's Just like Atkins WRONG

So since I am juicing and not eating an official "lunch" today, I am using my lunch break to post. Happy day 3 everyone for those of you doing the 30 Day Paleo Challenge and happy day 2 to me on my 3 Day Juicing/ Detox Challenge (still paleo). I'm not gonna lie, yesterday was rough. My brain kept telling me..."Why aren't you chewing? I don't get any bacon??",but alas I survived my first day of juicing and am on to the next. Thank goodness for accountability partners because I seriously wanted to cave especially after walking into my lunchroom at work and smelling everyone's delicious food. Maybe some of you felt that way these past couple of days doing paleo as something new for you or maybe it was awesome and you are loving it so far (I hope the latter). Either way it's all about commitment to YOUR goals and of course mind over matter. Today I woke up feeling awesome and spent two hours at the gym cycling and lifting weights. If I can turn myself into a workout fiend after previously not being able to run a whole lap without my back hurting a couple years ago, I can handle a little 3 day detox right???

Now on to the real topic of this post. I have been doing paleo about 4 months now and I get a lot of questions. Some of those questions I can answer based on my current knowledge and some I just don't know or haven't learned about yet because as I stated before, I am not an expert. I am doing what works for me. A common question I get is if paleo is focused mainly on meat or if it's just like the Atkins diet. I guess because I am always eating and talking about bacon...it's so darn good! :). Anyway, for those that are curious/ skeptical/ bored/ interested here are a couple links I found regarding the history of paleo and it's comparison to Atkins. I'm sure there are plenty of explanations to be found in various books and other sites but I found these and thought they were cool and fast easy reads. Feel free to post other helpful links you may find. The last one gives a quick rundown but try and read them all or at least do the old college skim!

http://paleosophy.com/a-paleo-visual/

http://ahealthyjourney.ca/paleo-vs-atkins/

http://www.paleoplan.com/2011/11-17/5-ways-the-paleo-diet-is-better-than-atkins/

http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/02-05/what-are-the-foods-on-the-paleo-diet/

http://www.paleoeffect.com/paleo-quick-guide/


SPICY ROASTED CARROT RED PEPPER ALMOND BUTTER SOUP:
Here is a nice meat-free paleo recipe for you guys. Looks yum!
http://www.katiekdid.com/2012/10/11/spicy-roasted-carrot-red-pepper-and-almond-butter-soup/


SOME TIPS TO KEEP YOU GOING!:
1. Plan ahead 
(I can't say this enough)  
2. Make sure every meal has some veggies and fruit
(It's not all about meat)
3. Don't go overboard on the nuts
 (They are meant to be a snack for the most part)
4. Focus on yourself and what you want 
(People may ask you questions that can be discouraging but just know its not about them its about you and what you are choosing for your life)
5. Eat enough food 
(This lifestyle is not calorie counting, its about nutrition. I usually eat 2 to 3 meals plus 1 or 2 snacks depending on what my meal is and how full I feel)
6. If you start don't give up so easy 
(If you fall off the wagon and have something you aren't supposed to have accept it and move on. Commit to yourself to get back on track and avoid the same slip up)
7. Have fun and do things enjoy
(Since you are making more time to change your diet don't forget to make more time for the things you've put on the back burner that you used to enjoy and "don't have time for")
8. Get a scale so you can see what's happening to you over the next 30 days 
(Just do it! :)...Why Not?)
9. Focus more on the lean meats as much as you can
(I should put a tip for myself that says eat less bacon....OOPS! I'm not perfect. And hey, let's not forget it's delicous!)
10. I can't think of anything else right now and break is over...THE END!  





No comments:

Post a Comment